The ReStory Your Life – Freedom After Trauma Meetup that I led may be over, but the notes I made and the lessons I planned are still relevant. I recently reread some of the ideas that I offered in the talk I gave before we shared as a group and wrote. In time, I stopped giving the presentation since many participants were coming back and had already heard the information. However, in rereading these notes earlier today, I felt their truth and power once again. See how they touch you.
DO YOU KNOW THAT AN EARLY TRAUMA COULD BE RUNNING YOUR LIFE?
DO YOU REALIZE THAT THE STRESS RESPONSE OF EARLY TRAUMA COULD BE MAKING YOUR DECISIONS FOR YOU?
DO YOU KNOW THAT SINCE YOU COULDN’T FIGHT OR FLEE FROM DANGER, YOU FROZE?*
DO YOU KNOW THAT WHEN TRAUMA IS TRIGGERED, STRESS HORMONES ARE RELEASED, FALSELY INFORMING YOU THAT YOU ARE IN DANGER, THUS TAXING YOUR BODY UNNECESSARILY?
DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS BELIEFS SHAPE YOUR CONSCIOUSNESS AND, THEREFORE, YOUR BODY, YOUR EMOTIONS, YOUR MIND–IN SHORT, YOUR LIFE?
DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR TRAUMA MAY HAVE BEEN PREVERBAL? AND SO, OF COURSE, YOU DON’T REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED.
DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR ANALYTICAL, NARRATIVE, CHRONOLOGICAL LEFT BRAIN DID NOT RECORD THAT TRAUMA, BUT YOUR RIGHT BRAIN DID?
DO YOU KNOW THAT YOUR EMOTIONS, YOUR BODY, AND THE IMAGES YOU’VE STORED DO KNOW THE STORY OF YOUR TRAUMA?
- YOU CAN UNDERSTAND TRAUMA AND THE EFFECT IT HAS ON YOU.
- YOU CAN COMPLETE THE INTERRUPTED MOTOR MEMORY OF BEING UNABLE TO SUCCESSFULLY FIGHT OR FLEE AND FIND FREEDOM FROM REENACTMENT DUE TO UNRESOLVED TRAUMA.*
- YOU CAN RESTORY YOUR LIFE, RECREATING YOUR BELIEFS, SO THE STORY YOU ARE LIVING IS YOUR OWN; YOU RUN YOUR LIFE, NOT THE TRAUMA.
- YOU DON’T HAVE TO BE A VICTIM.
- YOU CAN FIND FREEDOM FROM TRAUMA AND LIFE A HEALTHIER, MORE CREATIVE, AND SUCCESSFUL LIFE.
WRITING IS ONE OF THE TOOLS YOU CAN USE TO UNDERSTAND OLD PATTERNS, LEARN NEW RESPONSES, AND RESTORY YOUR LIFE.
WRITING, DRAWING, MEDITATION, AND BODYWORK, TO NAME A FEW, ARE KEYS TO THIS PROCESS.
*credit Dr. Peter Levine’s ideas